HOMEAbout FIALiving in FukushimaJapanese ClassesConsultation regarding the Great East Japan EarthquakeDisaster InformationUseful LinksTerms of UseSite Map



Fukushima International Association (FIA)’s Counselling Services for Foreign Residents Q&A

At the FIA, we provide multilingual counselling services for foreign residents living in Japan. We have compiled a list of Q&A regarding our counseling services.

Q. In what languages are the services offered?
A. The counselling services can be done in Japanese, English, Chinese, Tagalog, Portuguese and in Korean.

Q. Are counselling services available at anytime?
A. No, the available days and times are already decided.
For counselling in English, Chinese, or Japanese: Every Tuesday to Saturday from 9:00 to 17:15

For counseling in Korean, Tagalog, or Portuguese: Thursdays from 10:00 to 14:00

Q. What kinds of things can be discussed during the counselling?
A. Please give us a call if you have any issues or concerns while living in Japan. Confidentiality is absolutely guaranteed.

Q. Can we receive counselling over the phone?
A. Yes, please phone FIA at 024-524-1316.

Q. Can we directly come in to receive counselling?
A. Yes, please contact the FIA and make an appointment before you come in.

Q. Is it possible to request interpretation services?
A. Yes, interpretation can be done at the FIA office or using the trio-phone service. However, we do not provide an escort interpreting service. As a general rule, the content for the interpretation is limited to administrative services.

Q. Is there a fee in using the counselling or interpreting services?
A. No, the counselling and interpreting services are free. However, you will be liable for the phone bill during the counseling done by phone.

Q. What is the ‘Trio-Phone’ interpreting service?
A. The ‘Trio-Phone’ interpreting service involves a three-way conversation, compared to a normal conversation between two people. Between the non-Japanese party and the person providing the Japanese information, the FIA staff acts as an interpreter for the other two parties.

Q. When can we use the ‘Trio-Phone’ service?
A. The ‘Trio-Phone’ service can be used when dealing with Japanese administrative and public services. Please give us a call if you need help communicating in Japanese.

Q. How do we use the ‘Trio-Phone’ service?
A. You can use the service just by phoning 024-524-1316 and then let the FIA staff know that you would like to use the service.

Also, please understand that counselling is different from consultation; therefore, FIA cannot and will not make any decisions on the person’s behalf. We are only here to provide information and make suggestions for the person.

To the top of a page